Ready to begin your journey to homeownership? MMI is proud to offer a variety of homebuyer counseling and education services. Whether you're looking for certification to satisfy the requirements of a loan program or simply want to know more about what it takes to be a successful homeowner, we've got the solution for you.
How it Works
Prospective homeowners have two primary options: one-on-one homebuyer counseling and self-guided homebuyer education courses.
During a one-on-one homebuyer counseling session you'll work together with a trained counselor to review your finances and formulate a plan to help you find a home you can afford. The goal is to help you understand where you stand and what steps you'll need to take in order to save an adequate down payment, qualify for an affordable mortgage, and successfully manage the month to month costs of homeownership.
If applicable, your counselor may discuss available loan programs and their requirements.
You should leave your session with a budget, a clearly defined plan of action, and a certificate of completion (if applicable).
Online Homebuyer Education Courses
In additional to live, one-on-one homebuyer counseling, MMI also offers online homebuyer education courses. These courses are self-paced, engaging, and mobile-friendly. All courses are available in both English and Spanish.
Each course is designed to prepare you for every facet of the homebuying process. You can sign-up and begin a course at any time.
Who Can Benefit?
Buying a home is one of biggest financial commitments you can make. Homebuyer counseling and education can help anyone who plans on purchasing a house in the near future, but is especially helpful for consumers who:
- Are struggling to build a large enough down payment
- Worry that their credit may not be strong enough to qualify for a prime rate mortgage
- Don't understand the monthly costs associated with owning a home
- Need to complete a homebuyer counseling or education course in order to qualify for a specialized loan program
Why Choose MMI?
We recognize that consumers have options. So what separates MMI?
- Quality - MMI is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and the Consumer Federation of America (CFA). We are proud to be accredited by the prestigious Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children.
- Knowledge - Our training department works hard to assure that our representatives are knowledgeable and cross-trained in multiple areas of financial concern. All counselors must pass a series of tests to become certified.
- Accessibility - You can access our services by phone, internet and in person in many markets. Representatives are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet your needs.
- Nonprofit - As a nonprofit counseling agency, our priority is always the success and wellbeing of the people we serve. You can always expect honest, unbiased advice and guidance.
- History- MMI has been helping consumers find new ways to overcome financial challenges since 1958.
Is there a fee for homebuyer counseling?
There are actually a variety of homebuyer counseling options available, depending on whether or not the counseling is a requirement of a loan program. The fee for any counseling that is NOT a requirement of a loan program is $50. Your counselor will advise you of any fees before counseling begins.
There are fees for online homebuyer education courses. MMI currently offers a self-guided education course from Framework, which is $75, and a course from eHome America, which is $99.
Do you offer down payment assistance?
MMI as an organization does not offer down payment assistance. However, we do routinely seek grant funding to support such programs and location-specific financial assistance programs may be available in your area. Consult with your counselor to see if programs are available in your area at this time.
Do you offer loans?
No. MMI is not a lender. Completing a counseling session does not qualify you for a loan, though it may fulfill certain requirements of a loan program.
Click here for answers to more frequently asked questions »
Speak To a Counselor
Homebuyer counseling is available: Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm (CT). Call now to begin immediately or schedule an appointment.
Online Homebuyer Education Courses
Self-paced education courses are available 24/7.
Click here to register
Is it time to start thinking about purchasing your first home? While it may seem like the only thing you need to make that dream a reality is money (a great, big pile of it), there’s a bit more to it. Here are a few tips to prepare yourself financially and mentally, well in advance of the closing date.
Are you ready to tackle the responsibility of owning a home? Here are some key signs that indicate you're on your way.
Homeownership is a great dream - but is it right for you? Before investing in a home, here are some important things to consider.
Click here for more homebuyer related resources »