Before filing for personal bankruptcy, consumers are required to complete a pre-filing counseling session; and before receiving a bankruptcy discharge, debtors are required to complete an instructional course concerning personal financial management. These provisions are designed to provide debtors in bankruptcy with the skills and tools needed to avoid future financial problems.
We offer counseling options to help those either beginning the bankruptcy process or wrapping it up.
How it Works
Bankruptcy Pre-Filing Certificate
We understand that each person that seeks assistance has a unique financial situation. During your pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session, a certified credit counselor will work with you one-on-one to develop a detailed personal financial assessment. Your counselor will review your income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. This in-depth bankruptcy credit counseling process will provide you with a true and accurate picture of your financial situation, a reasonable and manageable spending plan, a detailed action plan, and short and long-term financial goals.
From the comfort of your home, you can complete your pre-filing bankruptcy counseling online or by telephone. Counselors are available by telephone from 8am to 8pm (CT), Monday-Thursday, 9am-6pm (CT) Friday, while online bankruptcy credit counseling is available anytime at BankruptcyCertificate.com. In-person services are available by appointment in select local markets. Counseling services are available in Spanish with more than 150 other languages available upon request.
Upon completion of the bankruptcy counseling session, you will be promptly issued a certificate of participation that allows you to proceed with the bankruptcy filing process. Timely certificate delivery is offered by email, fax, or mail.
Bankruptcy Pre-Discharge Certificate
The pre-discharge education course covers a variety of financial and budgeting topics, assuring you have the tools necessary to build a strong financial foundation.
During the bankruptcy education program, you will receive tips and tools for wise money management and credit use. You will also discover how to set achievable financial goals, calculate your net worth, create a livable budget, and build a savings plan. In addition, the program facilitator will share with you how to obtain credit reports, establish or re-establish credit, dispute errors, and protect yourself from identity theft.
For your convenience, the pre-discharge education program is available by telephone and online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at BankruptcyCertificate.com. The bankruptcy education program is available in English and Spanish.
Upon completion of the pre-discharge bankruptcy course, you will be promptly issued a certificate of participation that allows you to proceed and apply for the bankruptcy discharge certificate. Timely certificate delivery is offered by email, fax, or mail.
Who Can Benefit?
- Those unsure if bankruptcy is the right path for them (pre-bankruptcy counseling).
- Those who have begun the bankruptcy process and need the required certification to continue.
- Those who have complete their bankruptcy filing and need the required certification to complete the discharge process.
Why choose MMI?
We’re committed to providing the highest level of quality in our field. Here are five of the many ways MMI ensures that you, our customer, receive the high quality bankruptcy counseling services you deserve:
- Service - MMI is approved by the Executive Office for U.S. Trustees to issue counseling and education certificates in compliance with the bankruptcy code.* We are also HUD-approved to provide housing counseling sessions.
- Accessibility - You can access our services by phone, internet and in person in many markets. Representatives are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet your needs.
- Convenience - Upon completion of the counseling session, you will be promptly issued a certificate of participation that allows you to proceed with the bankruptcy filing process. Timely certificate delivery is offered by email, fax, or mail.
- Quality - MMI is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC), Consumer Federation of America (CFA), and National Council of Higher Education Resources (NCHER). We are proud to be accredited by the prestigious Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children.
- Knowledge - Our training department continually works to assure that our representatives are knowledgeable and cross-trained. All counselors must pass a series of tests to become certified.
* Approved to issue certificates in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code. Approval does not endorse or assure the quality of the Agency's services. EOUST regulations do not apply to residents of NC or AL.
HOW DO I CHOOSE A BANKRUPTCY AGENCY?
Bankruptcy is a major undertaking, so it’s important that you work with an agency that can help guide you through the process with empathy and expertise. When choosing a bankruptcy counseling and education provider consumers should:
- Verify that the bankruptcy counseling agency of choice is approved by the Executive Office for U.S. Trustees and equipped to deliver the necessary counseling and education. A list of approved agencies can be found on the U.S. Department of Justice website.
- Check that the organization has the capacity to help better their clients’ overall financial situation through continuing counseling and financial education.
- Consider the organization’s commitment to quality. Make sure the organization is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling or the Consumer Federation of America. Verify that they are accredited by an independent third party organization, such as the Council on Accreditation (COA).
HOW MUCH DOES THE BANKRUPTCY COUNSELING SESSION COST?
The fee for the pre-filing bankruptcy counseling session by one of our professional credit counselors is $50 for single or joint filers. MMI will waive the bankruptcy pre-filing counseling fee for consumers whose household income is equal to or less than 150 percent of the estimated poverty threshold for their applicable family size as published in the current Federal Poverty Levels Guidelines.
- Pre-filing counseling: $50
- Pre-discharge education: $50
- Pre-discharge video: $50
DOES THE BANKRUPTCY COUNSELING CERTIFICATE EXPIRE?
Bankruptcy regulations require consumers to receive counseling within 180 days of filing. If you choose to file more than 180 days past the date of your initial bankruptcy counseling session, you will need to schedule another appointment to talk with a trained bankruptcy counselor.
Click here for answers to more frequently asked questions »
Online pre-filing counseling
Self-guided bankruptcy counseling available 24/7.
Speak To a Counselor
Pre-filing bankruptcy counseling over the phone.
Begin a pre-discharge Education Course
Online education courses available anytime.
The process of filing for bankruptcy can be stressful and frustrating, and the terminology used may sound foreign and unfamiliar. Understanding these terms, however, is important as bankruptcy can be a life-changing event.
Regardless of the type of bankruptcy you declare, it will likely have a considerably negative impact on your credit. How long that damage lasts and how easy it is to recover from depends on a number of factors.
If you own a home, and are considering filing for bankruptcy, you are probably wondering how bankruptcy will affect your homeownership.
Click here for more bankruptcy related resources »