Disaster Recovery Counseling
Natural disasters can strike any time. Even if you’re prepared, recovery can be a long, painstaking process. Fortunately, help is available.
MMI is proud to offer post-disaster financial recovery counseling and personalized assistance for disaster survivors through Project Porchlight.
Already a Porchlight client? Click here to access your online learning account
How it Works
There are four main components to Project Porchlight.
- Assessing your disaster impact and developing a recovery plan | We know that every disaster and household is unique. Our disaster recovery specialist will take the time to understand the challenges you face and create a plan to bring you back to “normal” as quickly as possible.
- Assisting with your FEMA aid and insurance paperwork | Our trained professionals will guide you through the application and appeals process. At the same time, we will provide tips and tools to manage your financial obligations while awaiting aid or insurance payments.
- Monthly support from your recovery specialist | A Project Porchlight counselor will be in regular contact with you for up to one year, providing guidance, encouragement, and resources throughout the recovery process.
- Community, encouragement, and continuing education | Porchlight Online provides you with a moderated forum to find support from other survivors. It also provides information on how to avoid common scams, navigate insurance issues, connect with assistance programs, prepare for future disasters, and more.
Who Can Benefit?
Project Porchlight is available to anyone in the United States who has been impacted by a natural disaster. Some of the most common reasons people seek post-disaster financial recovery counseling include:
- Your income or employment has been interrupted due to the disaster
- Your home was damaged and you are juggling extra housing expenses or paying for items not covered by insurance
- You feel overwhelmed and confused by the FEMA aid or insurance application or appeal process
- You’ve fallen behind on loan payments and want to minimize damage to your credit report
- You’ve experienced increased out-of-pocket expenses and aren’t able to keep up on all of your bills
- You’ve tapped savings, retirement, credit cards, or loans to finance your recovery and want to minimize the long-term negative impact to your finances
Basically, if the financial impact of a natural disaster is causing you distress and you aren't sure what to do next, Project Porchlight can be an unbiased, free source of advice and support.