MMI offers free budget and debt counseling to those who need help with budgeting, money management skills, and credit issues. Certified counselors take the time to thoroughly understand your situation and provide you with specific advice.
How it Works
Budget and debt counseling is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by telephone and Internet. In-person budget and debt counseling is also available by appointment in select local markets.
You and your personal credit counselor will work together to:
- Assess your current financial situation
- Develop a realistic spending plan
- Establish achievable financial goals
- Create a personal action plan for success
Read more: What Does a Credit Counselor Do?
Who Can Benefit?
- Do you spend more than you make each month and need help reviewing your finances?
- Are you financially overwhelmed and struggling to pay your bills each month?
- Has an income reduction made previously manageable debts unmanageable?
- Are mounting medical bills or a recent divorce causing financial strain?
All financial challenges - no matter how major or minor - have solutions. No matter what financial problems you’re dealing with, the most important thing to remember is that you’re not alone.
Gaining control of your credit usage problems is possible with our free money management counseling appointments, so you have nothing to lose by filling out an online credit counseling form or visiting the local MMI branch office location most convenient for you.
Why Choose MMI?
We recognize that consumers have options. So what separates MMI?
- Quality - MMI is a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and the Consumer Federation of America (CFA). We are proud to be accredited by the prestigious Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children.
- Knowledge - Our training department works hard to assure that our representatives are knowledgeable and cross-trained in multiple areas of financial concern. All counselors must pass a series of tests to become certified.
- Accessibility - You can access our services by phone, internet and in person in many markets. Representatives are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet your needs.
- Nonprofit - As a nonprofit counseling agency, our priority is always the success and wellbeing of the people we serve. You can always expect honest, unbiased advice and guidance.
- History- MMI has been helping consumers find new ways to overcome financial challenges since 1958.
How long does a typical counseling session last?
Each person’s financial situation is unique and so each counseling session is tailored to meet the specific needs of each consumer. A full credit and budget counseling session typically lasts 45-60 minutes, but don’t hesitate to call and speak to a counselor—even if you have only a few minutes to spare. Counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer questions.
Is there a cost to participate in a counseling session?
No. There is no fee or obligation for credit counseling. If you decide to start a debt management plan, there will likely be a one time set-up charge and a monthly fee for the cost of administering the plan.
Are your services confidential?
Confidentiality is one of the fundamental benefits of our counseling services. Your participation in a counseling session is not reported to anyone unless otherwise disclosed or agreed to by you. We don’t report to the credit reporting agencies. If you choose to establish a debt management plan your counselor will request your permission to negotiate with your creditors on your behalf.
Speak To a Counselor
Begin immediately or schedule an appointment. Counseling is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by telephone so no matter where you live or what time of day it is, we’re here to help.
Self-guided counseling is available any time.
If you prefer to meet with a counselor face-to-face, we have branch offices across the country.