Men are notoriously difficult to shop for — but you probably didn’t need me to tell you that! So when Father’s Day rolls around every June, I often find myself at a loss for what to get dear old dad.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a spare $400 to spend on the cool tech gadgets all of the stores are touting for Father’s Day. And now that I’m an adult, opting for the tried-and-true necktie just isn’t going to cut it. So therein lies my dilemma: What can I get dad that is both meaningful and budget-friendly?
Well, with a little sleuthing and a lot of creativity, I have compiled a list of father-friendly frugal gift ideas that any dad is sure to love!
- Do-It-Yourself gift basket. I love this idea because it’s personal, inexpensive, and yummy! The initial version I spotted was a movie-themed gift basket featured on Homespun with Love. It includes simple items such as theater candy and popcorn, which you can easily find at your local dollar store. Then, simply put them together in a “basket” — in this case it’s a popcorn bucket – and add a personal touch, like a movie “ticket” that’s good for a movie night with dad. I’ve seen variations of this same concept with different themes, such as golf (use a golf ball bucket as the basket!), baseball (don’t forget the Cracker Jacks!), and even a “pop” themed package for the “World’s Greatest Pop” (popcorn, soda pop, lollipop… you get the idea!).
- Create a tie-rrific gift. Ok, so I know I discouraged the idea of gifting ties for Father’s Day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t utilize previous necktie gifts in a new, innovative way! I found a couple of great ideas on Pinterest for creating items using dad’s old ties. Roll up some of his old ties and create an upcycled wreath (pictured at top). Or give him a personalized place to hang his ties with this DIY tie rack. Just add some lettering (this one says “Daddy’s love TIES us together” — cute, huh?) and you’ve got a budget-friendly gift that dad can cherish for years to come!
- Give him something that’s worth a thousand words. I adore the “We heart daddy” shadow photo (pictured at top). It’s so unique, yet so simple. Ultimately you can’t go wrong with any photo that captures your love for dad. His heart is guaranteed to melt.
- Serve a breakfast that’s anything but boring. Get creative with the usual breakfast-in-bed by cutting dad’s pancakes into fun shapes, like the necktie pancakes pictured at top. Or serve him mini pancakes in a stein and pour the syrup on top. He’ll be so impressed by the presentation it won’t matter if they have a rubbery consistency (which mine often do…).
- Do your own thing. Use our free personalized gift certificate tool to come up with your own perfect gift. You know dad best, so if he’d appreciate some help in the yard, or a day with complete control over the remote, you can give him exactly what he wants! And the best part? It doesn’t cost a thing!
For more frugal Father’s Day gift finds, check out MMI’s boards on Pinterest. You’ll find everything listed here, and much more!