Five habits of financially successful people
What is the true definition of financial success? Although it varies from person to person it can usually include: the ability to pay bills without worry, being free of debt, and having enough money in savings for things such as emergencies, family vacations, retirement, college funds, and more.
Being financially successful is easier said than done. There are no quick fixes or magic formulas for achieving financial success. Financially successful people understand the difference between wants and needs and how to create clear financial objectives for achieving their goals. Below are five habits of financially successful people.
- They have a “big dream.” Thinking outside the box allows you to develop clear financial goals and priorities that are worth sacrifices, because strong desires bring strong results. Start by writing down your financial goals. Then, list realistic target dates for each goal. It’s important to also list short-term goals such as family vacations and major purchases.
- They have a plan. Developing a long-term financial plan that supports your financial goals provides a clear sense of direction. It should include a realistic budget and spending plan that fits your personal lifestyle and prioritizes items accordingly.
- They are financially educated. Understanding money and credit, including your credit report, interest rates, and how to protect yourself from scams and fraud, are key elements of success.
- They know the value of saving. Money set-aside for a rainy day, an emergency, or even the holiday shopping season will protect your budget and credit card balances from any temporary setbacks. Building savings for the future will also help develop good financial spending habits.
- They are confident. Don’t get discouraged by temporary setbacks. Success begins with a state of mind; you must believe you’ll be successful in order to become a success. Your road to financial freedom doesn’t have to be perfect. You can ‘try again’ as many times as needed.
Building a secure financial future is hard work, but the payoff is true financial freedom. Work hard and make all the necessary sacrifices to get what you want to become a financially successful person.
For consumers, our free weekly Success newsletter contains educational tips, tools, and information to help you achieve your financial goals. Sign up today to begin receiving Success online and don’t forget to browse past issues of Success.