Do You Have to Pay Taxes on Found Gold?

gold nuggets in a pan

A reader wrote in to ask the following:

Is gold that you panned from a river or up in the mountains on vacation considered taxable? 

Presuming you've arrived at this page for reasons that aren't purely hypothetical, congratulations on striking gold! May you enjoy your newfound wealth. Or what’s left of it. Because yes, the government will be taking some of that.

Sorry - found treasure is taxable

A few years ago, a couple in California found $10 million worth of gold coins on their property. Which is basically the dream (and was my childhood retirement plan, if we're being honest).

Well, they got to keep about 53 percent of that dream. The other 47 percent went to state and federal taxes. The couple didn’t even need to sell any of the coins – tax was due immediately based on the estimated value of the coins.

The reason goes back to a landmark case: Cesarini v. United States. Cesarini bought a used piano for $15 (the 1950s were a different time) and later found $5,000 inside the piano. Cesarini argued that the found money didn’t constitute gross income per the Tax Code (as it was then written). The IRS disagreed. The IRS won.

The case helped clarify what items are considered gross income per the Tax Code, extending the list to include treasure troves.

When it comes to self-panned gold nuggets, however, I wouldn’t be worried about taxes until you’ve actually sold the gold. At that point it’s clearly additional income with a paper trail. Make sure you keep track of all documentation and claim the proper amount on your tax returns.

If you're hoping for a gold strike to help balance your budget or pay off lingering debts, there are plenty of easier ways to reach your goals. Connect with a nonprofit credit counselor today for free to discuss your challenge and see how MMI can help.

Tagged in Taxes, Earning extra income

Jesse Campbell photo.

Jesse Campbell is the Content Manager at MMI, with over ten years of experience creating valuable educational materials that help families through everyday and extraordinary financial challenges.

  • Better Business Bureau A+ rating Better Business Bureau
    MMI is proud to have achieved an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), a nonprofit organization focused on promoting and improving marketplace trust. The BBB investigates charges of fraud against both consumers and businesses, sets standards for truthfulness in advertising, and evaluates the trustworthiness of businesses and charities, providing a score from A+ (highest) to F (lowest).
  • Financial Counseling Association of America Financial Counseling Association of America
    MMI is a proud member of the Financial Counseling Association of America (FCAA), a national association representing financial counseling companies that provide consumer credit counseling, housing counseling, student loan counseling, bankruptcy counseling, debt management, and various financial education services.
  • Trustpilot Trustpilot
    MMI is rated as “Excellent” (4.9/5) by reviewers on Trustpilot, a global, online consumer review platform dedicated to openness and transparency. Since 2007, Trustpilot has received over 116 million customer reviews for nearly 500,000 different websites and businesses. See what others are saying about the work we do.
  • Department of Housing and Urban Development - Equal Housing Opportunity Department of Housing and Urban Development
    MMI is certified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide consumer housing counseling. The mission of HUD is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all. HUD provides support services directly and through approved, local agencies like MMI.
  • Council on Accreditation Council On Accreditation
    MMI is proudly accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA), an international, independent, nonprofit, human service accrediting organization. COA’s thorough, peer-reviewed accreditation process is designed to ensure that organizations like MMI are providing the highest standard of service and support for clients and employees alike.
  • National Foundation for Credit Counseling National Foundation for Credit Counseling
    MMI is a longstanding member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling® (NFCC®), the nation’s largest nonprofit financial counseling organization. Founded in 1951, the NFCC’s mission is to promote financially responsible behavior and help member organizations like MMI deliver the highest-quality financial education and counseling services.