11 Gift Ideas for the Penniless Hopeless Romantic
Whether Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or just a whim inspires you to splurge on a gift for your sweetie, pause before you swipe that credit card. The best way to celebrate a once-in-a-lifetime love isn’t necessarily with a store bought, generic gift. These 11 gift ideas may not cost you much, but they are rich in thought and sure to be treasured by the one you love.
- Write a poem or love letter. Nothing says “I love you” more than sweet, tender words from the heart. Use your creative side and let that special someone know how you really feel.
- Bring him or her breakfast in bed. Showcase your culinary skills by making your sweetie his or her favorite breakfast food. Nothing says lovin’ like somethin’ from the oven.
- Treat your significant other to a spa treatment. A day spa masseuse may be pricey but you’re not! Give your loved one a foot and back massage at home. Create a romantic ambiance with a sweetly-scented bubble bath and some rose petals in and around the bathtub.
- Prepare a romantic candlelit dinner. Transform your dining room into a beautiful four-star restaurant. Enjoy each other’s company and reconnect in a quiet atmosphere.
- Recreate your first date. Maybe it was dinner and a movie, maybe it was a walk in the park—the key is to recreate that initial spark between the two of you.
- Give your love a break. If you usually divide the chores at home, give your partner a sweet surprise by doing both your shares. Giving them a chance to put their feet up and relax will show how much you appreciate all they do.
- Create a soundtrack of your romance. Choose songs that are memorable for the two of you. The first song you danced to, the song that best defines your relationship, and songs that make you think of the other are a few ideas to load into your MP3 player.
- Rent a favorite flick. Spending quality time together is one of the best gestures to show someone you care. Instead of going out to a crowded movie theater, rent a movie and watch it while snuggling on the sofa.
- Buy red balloons. Fill his or her favorite room in the house with red balloons and hand-written notes with romantic verses on them.
- One step closer toward achieving a common goal. Make an agreement with your partner to forgo the gifts on the occasion you are celebrating. Instead, put that money toward achieving a shared goal, such as homeownership, paying off a debt, or saving for a romantic vacation.
- Give a printable gift certificate. Sometimes the best gift you can give is your time.
For more on finance and romance, download the free Love and Money eBook.