Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Blogging for Change Blogging For Change
by sitecore\kmcgrigg on December 10, 2008

On November 13, I got a parking ticket for parking too close (50") to a nonexistent crosswalk in front of my house where I have parked most days for the past six years. I disputed the $25 ticket on the grounds that it was stupid. I got a call from the parking magistrate yesterday (isn’t that a very important sounding title?!) saying that the ticket was in fact valid because the official definition of a crosswalk does not exclude a regular unmarked place where there is a sidewalk that ends at the street—you know, where someone might “walk across.” They have agreed to accept a reduced fine of $15 which will increase to $30 if not paid within two weeks. My only other option is to appear in court.

(Note: Ignoring the issue is not an option. Too many credit reports have been damaged by seemingly mundane things like parking tickets and overdue library books.)

I was ready to pay the $15 because I have clearly wasted much more than $15 or even $25 worth of energy on the matter. However, as I was driving home from work last night, I saw a gazillion or so cars parked within 20 feet of a “crosswalk” (20' is rather far!) In fact, if this rule was taken seriously, it would eliminate about 20% of the parking spaces in my dense urban neighborhood. Another thing that I find incredibly frustrating is that the city-enforced parking meters in town are aligned in a way that would put a car much, much closer than the 20 feet they claim is necessary.

So, what should I do? I know that life isn’t fair, but this seems ridiculous. Obviously, this issue isn’t really about money anymore, but would the satisfaction of “winning” this case worth the trouble?  

Parking Ticket

Posted in:  Credit Reporting


Chris says:
December 12, 2008

My Grandfather once took someone to court for less than a dollar (this was, say, 50 years ago) for the principle of it all. If you think you have a case, don't mind the time, effort and aggravation, and have nothing to lose but the $25 or whatever it is, why not plead your case?

Cie says:
December 10, 2008

Just pay it by mail and put a note (or even a copy of your blog comment) about the unequal enforcement in with the payment. That way you win two ways: You get them off your back, and they just might pay attention to your argument, which is certainly valid. So you actually win three ways, because you also get the satisfaction of knowing in your heart you were right. Which you were. Oh wait, you win four ways because this cannot come back and bite you in the behind in the credit dept.

Kim says:
December 12, 2008

I think I will take Cie's advice and pay it with protest.

Please provide the comments.
Security Code:
Please correct the code.