Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

Can military personnel wages be garnished?

If monetary judgment is obtained against military personnel in state court civil proceeding, can he be garnished? -Matthew


It is my understanding, effective April 3, 1994, wages of the military may be garnished. A judgment must be obtained in the state or county in which the debtor works and service must be made on the payroll office in the location where the debtor works. The only exception to this garnishment might be if the service member is stationed in a state that prohibits garnishment.

Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

If you do not find the answer to your question in the archive, write to the Advice Team today! A member of the Advice Team will personally respond (by email) to your question by offering answers, helpful tips or solutions. This is a free service offered by MMI.

Explore by: