Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

What can I do to stop a creditor from garnishing my paycheck?

A creditor has started to garnish my paycheck. What can I do to stop this garnishment? -Jim


You can stop a garnishment by negotiating with the creditor or paying the balance in full.

You might also be able to request a hearing to argue that it will be a financial hardship on you if your property is taken. Filing bankruptcy will also stop some wage garnishments. Because these are legal issues, I recommend you discuss your options with an attorney.

Ask the Experts

Explore by:
Ask The Experts

If you do not find the answer to your question in the archive, write to the Advice Team today! A member of the Advice Team will personally respond (by email) to your question by offering answers, helpful tips or solutions. This is a free service offered by MMI.