Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

I am unable to make up for missed mortgage payments at this time. What are my options? I don't want to lose my home.

I purchased my first house in December. I lost my job in June and have been unable to pay my mortgage payment for the past three months. I have returned to work and although my income is substantially less, I can now resume paying my mortgage payments again. I am not able to make up for the missing mortgage payments at this time, what are my options? I do not want to lose my home. Thanks. -Jordan


The first thing you need to do is contact your mortgage company to see what options they might be able to offer to help you keep your house. There are many solutions to avoid a foreclosure through loss mitigation. Some of the many alternatives to curing a delinquent mortgage include a partial claim, a straight modification, and a forbearance.

For more information, visit the Department of Housing and Urban Development's website.

You can also seek free assistance from one of MMI's HUD certified housing counselors and learn more about MMI's foreclosure prevention services.

Best of luck,

Ask the Experts

Explore by:
Ask The Experts

If you do not find the answer to your question in the archive, write to the Advice Team today! A member of the Advice Team will personally respond (by email) to your question by offering answers, helpful tips or solutions. This is a free service offered by MMI.