Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

My mortgage company says I am behind on my mortgage, but I disagree. Can they make me pay?

According to my mortgage company, I'm behind one month (I disagree!) But in order to protect our credit I'm willing to pay $200 a month for five months for a total of $1,000. Can they force me to pay that amount at once? Can they sue me even if I'm willing to make those payments? Can they foreclose on my house because of this? - Virgilio


Do you have proof that you are current on your payments? Check your bank statements, mortgage statements, or cancelled checks to verify payment.

With proof, you and your mortgage company can surely resolve the situation. Without proof, the mortgage company can request payment in full and does not have to accept your plan to pay the amount in installments. That being said, many lenders are willing to work with consumers to get back on track. 

I recommend that you keep the lines of communication open with your lender and start searching for that proof!  Remember to keep detailed records in the future.

Good Luck,

Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

If you do not find the answer to your question in the archive, write to the Advice Team today! A member of the Advice Team will personally respond (by email) to your question by offering answers, helpful tips or solutions. This is a free service offered by MMI.

Explore by: