Page Section Navigation
Go to: Header
Go to: Utility Navigation
Go to: Primary Navigation
Go to: Content
Go to: Footer
Ask the Experts

Ask The Experts

My credit reports show a status of discharged. How do I get my credit history to be more favorable?

I filed bankruptcy more than seven years ago. I just ordered and received my credit reports from Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. My reports show a status of DISCHARGED. My question is since it's been more than seven years how can I get my credit history to be more favorable. -Virginia

Dear Virginia,

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy stays on your report for seven years. If you filed for Chapter 13, the notation should be removed. To correct this error, you can file dispute forms with the credit reporting agencies. You should have received the forms along with your reports.

If you filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the notation stays on your credit report for up to ten years. In this case, you’ll have to wait.

Either way, to improve your credit history, keep paying those bills on time and as agreed.

Ask the Experts

Explore by:
Ask The Experts

If you do not find the answer to your question in the archive, write to the Advice Team today! A member of the Advice Team will personally respond (by email) to your question by offering answers, helpful tips or solutions. This is a free service offered by MMI.