MMI Key Messages
- Money Management International (MMI) is a full-service, nonprofit credit counseling agency that has been providing confidential financial guidance, financial education, counseling and debt management assistance to consumers since 1958.
- MMI’s mission is to improve lives through financial education.
- Hundreds of thousands of consumers nationwide have chosen the MMI Debt Management Plan (DMP) as an alternative to bankruptcy.
- By focusing on in-person and online educational resources and programs, MMI can be a long-term financial educator for consumers. Our main objective is to help consumers achieve their personal financial goals.
- MMI provides in-person counseling in more than 95 offices throughout the states of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington, in addition to online and telephone counseling which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- MMI operates five full-service contact centers in Houston, TX, Phoenix, AZ, Roanoke, VA, Baton Rouge, LA and Warwick, RI.
- Education remains the cornerstone of MMI’s mission of helping clients recover from debt and create a plan of action that works for them, through numerous programs and workshops, Internet resources, and our volunteer program. Online resources include Q&A’s about credit and personal finance issues, curriculum resources for teachers, articles about financial issues, self-paced courses, financial calculators and links to other resources that help educate clients about how to achieve financial independence.
- MMI educators and certified volunteers conduct approximately 3,000 educational programs annually through schools, community organizations and local sponsors, touching nearly 100,000 individuals.
- MMI advocates a “needs-based” approach to financial assistance. Each client receives an individualized complete financial evaluation, including a personalized spending plan tailored to their individual needs designed to educate them with information and techniques for better money management, and to help ensure their future financial security.
- Professional and certified MMI counselors are highly trained and experienced to provide the highest level of customer service in the industry.
- All information provided to MMI is held in the strictest confidence. MMI values its client’s personal privacy.
- MMI’s DMP is a confidential program including a thorough evaluation of each client’s financial situation, assistance in creating a spending plan and negotiating the terms of client’s debts with creditors. By negotiating terms, such as lower interest rates and waived late fees, MMI can often provide clients with more affordable payments and a shorter payoff period.
2011 Annual Report